New Song is a small church serving the St. Louis area. I assisted with migrating the existing New Song site over from static HTML pages to WordPress. They were looking for an upgrade to their current setup that would allow for greater freedom and control in managing and updating the site. Those maintaining the site on a regular basis have no HTML or CSS experience, so we decided that using WordPress as a Content Management System would be a great fit.
- Moving content to a new hosting provider
- Setting up an installation of WordPress for use as a CMS
- Finding a WordPress theme that fit the church's needs and vision
- General support in site maintenance and adjustment to WordPress
We decided to focus on a clean and minimal look for the New Song theme. This style works well for New Song, since images of the church and congregation are featured throughout the site. We didn't want too many distractions or too much clutter taking away from the content and images featured throughout the pages.
The current theme includes some additional features that I knew would be useful for those managing the site:
- Easy-to-change header image that is accessible without having to go into the CSS
- Customizable colors for all links throughout the site, so the color scheme can match the selected header image
Finally, the theme is responsive and works well on smaller devices, such as a phone or tablet.
As of now, the folks at New Song are in charge of the content and most of the look-and-feel, having taking over sole responsibility for images, graphics, and typography. I'm still available to provide assistance as needed for issues, primarily with navigating and maintaining WordPress things behind-the-scenes.